The Sneaky Chef and the Skinny Mom
Eat Healthy, Be Happy
Eating healthy and getting the picky eaters in your life to eat the food you make, don’t always go hand-in-hand. This tasty recipe from, Brooke Griffin, the Skinny Mom, will make the whole family happy and healthy. The Farmers’ Market Garden Bake is choked full of goodness from the garden with a variety of colors, tastes, and textures. This recipe is a true testament to Brooke’s mission of bringing light and balanced meals to moms.
Remember to check your local farmers’ markets for veggies that are in season. Not only will you be eating the freshest produce, but you’ll be supporting your local agriculture and community. Feel free to use any vegetables that you choose in this dish, the possibilities are endless.
Farmers’ Market Garden Bake
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Serving Size: 2 cups
8 ounces high-protein farfalle pasta
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 small zucchini, diced
1 small yellow squash, diced
1 pound asparagus, cut into 1-inch pieces
½ cup frozen pearl onions
1 tomato, diced
¼ cup cooking sherry or low-sodium vegetable broth
1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
1 teaspoon dried basil
½ teaspoon dried oregano
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
1 cup shredded reduced-fat mozzarella cheese
½ cup pasta water (reserved from step 2)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Coat a 13 x 9-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat. Cook the pasta to al dente according to the package directions. Reserving ½ cup of the pasta water, drain the pasta and set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium high heat. Add the garlic, squash, zucchini, bell pepper, asparagus, and onions and sauté for 5 minutes. Add the tomato and sauté for an additional 2 minutes, until the vegetables have softened.
- Remove the vegetables from the heat and fold in the cooked pasta.
- To make the sauce: In a small saucepan, bring the sherry to a simmer over medium heat. Add the reserved ½ cup pasta water and the ricotta and whisk for about 2 minutes to incorporate. (Optional: Add the ¼ to ½ cup of Make-Ahead Puree at this time to combine) Season with the lemon zest, basil, oregano, salt, and pepper. Add ½ cup of the mozzarella and stir until melted, about 2 minutes. If sauce it too thick, you may small amounts of pasta water or sherry/broth to loosen it up. Carefully transfer the sauce to a blender (or use an immersion blender) and blend for 1 to 2 minutes until smooth.
Stay tuned for more delicious recipes from The Sneaky Chef and the Skinny Mom.
About the Skinny Mom:
Brooke Griffin is the creator of SkinnyMom.com, where moms 'get the skinny' on healthy living and author of best-selling cookbook Skinny Suppers: 125 Lightened-Up, Healthier Meals for Your Family. Through lightening up family-favorite recipes and creating quick, effective at-home workouts, Brooke hopes to encourage women to live their healthiest, happiest lives.